The first part of Paty's post, detailing how she set up her table for book signings, made us think about point-of-purchase (POP) displays.
In this week's field trip, we want you to observe and examine POP displays in a retail setting.
Visit your favorite clothing store and:
- start with the outside of the store and / or the store window displays - what caught your eye first? What items (signs, mannequins, props) are being used to draw you into the store?
- Notice the 'flow' of the outside / window display - how did your eyes take in the information being presented?
- once you are inside the store, note the "in store" displays (merchandising) - how are they positioned in the store? What messages are being conveyed? (back to school, fall is coming, etc.)
- note the colors, images, and textures used to draw you 'in' to entice you to buy products
- think about how you can integrate what you've observed into your displays
- how will you use your PERSONA to convey the content of your books?
- how can you integrate some of these techniques into your website (online store)?
Find ways to GRAB your reader's attention, ENGAGE them, and watch your sales bloom!
Any marketing questions can be posed in the comments on any post. If you have a question, others will too, so we can address our answers to all. Our posts are myths and tips we want to share but we love to target our answers to questions.