Howdy, it’s Morgan, bringing a few tales from the recent Romance Times (RT) Booklovers Convention in Chicago, IL. Don’t worry….What happened at RT will stay at RT — except for some examples of SUPERB marketing!
The ever lovely Ms. Tes Hilaire was the master mind, marketing diva who orchestrated The Big Basket-of-Books Contest.
Basically, she created an author scavenger hunt. This tri-fold piece featured seventeen published authors.
and Tes Hilaire (of course)
Each author was given a stack of fliers to distribute to their readers. The readers gathered signatures from the featured authors. Upon completion, they showed their signed pamphlet to one of the featured authors and their name (with contact info) was recorded for the drawing. Simple right?
Here are the things I LOVE about this piece:
- It is a full color, matte finish piece on a light cardstock paper that folds down to a 5.75” x 11” pamphlet. The overall look and tactile feel resonates quality and professionalism.
- Each author was allotted two paragraphs: 1) to share a little bit about themselves and 2) to promote their latest (or pending) publication and their website.
- The beautiful book covers on the front of the pamphlet were stunning, but most importantly, it gave the readers a cover to look for on the shelves!
- It encouraged reader cross-pollination. The featured authors write in a variety of genres: paranormal, steampunk, historical, urban fantasy, and contemporary in both adult and young adult. Talk about sharing the love!
- It’s a great souvenir (and book guide) for the reader. Readers kept their signed pamphlets.
Mad kudos to Ms. Tes Hilaire and to all of the authors who participated in this fine marketing program.
I challenge all of you to look for ways to team up with your fellow authors to cross-market your books, events, PERSONAS, and other promotions.